Call for papers
Proposals : 250 words with a biography of 1-2 sentences
Submitted to : firstname.lastname@example.org
By deadline date :
30 November 2017 EXTENDED TO : 20 December 2017
The international symposium “Thomas Merton: Prophecy and Renewal” will focus particularly on the way in which Merton engaged the prophetic elements of monasticism. He believed that this witness could make a major contribution to a renewal of human and Christian life. In this spirit, this inaugural symposium is an invitation to participate in wide-open and interdisciplinary dialogues on Merton and his ideas.
Papers should relate to the conference theme under the headings of “prophecy” and “renewal” as follows below.
MERTON AND PROPHECY
- Tradition : the Desert Fathers, the Fathers of the Church, authority
- Vision : Christianity, monasticism, interreligious and intermonastic dialogue
- Performance : art, biography, letters, dialogue with Jean Leclercq
MERTON AND RENEWAL
- Monasticism : prayer, life, community
- Church : theology, spirituality, liturgy
- Society : culture, politics, nonviolence
Session formats may include
- Scholarly papers designed for presentation in 20 minutes, i.e., 8-10 double-spaced pages, maximum
- Workshops designed to involve interactive participation, incorporating adult learning strategies and/or small group discussion
- Creative / Dramatic presentations using music, poetry, dance or other media to provide insight into aspects of Merton’s life or work
- Guided meditation / Prayer sessions, particularly those using Merton’s own writings as a framework for prayer and meditative reflection
Proposals of no more than 250 words, and a short biographical statement of 1-2 sentences should be submitted by 30 November 2017, by e-mail to:
Responses to submitted proposals will be sent by 15 January 2018.