Welcome to the library
The Library of Sant’Anselmo was founded together with the College and the University by Pope Leo XIII in 1887. The initial collection was created thanks to the personal bequests of the Blessed Cardinal Benedetto Dusmet (+1894) and the Abbot Gaetano Bernardi (+1895 ) and was gradually expanded thanks to the generous contribution of various Benedictine monasteries from all over the world.
Thanks to the interest of Abbot Primate Viktor Dammertz (1977-1993), the library was moved to what had been the crypt of the abbey church and inaugurated on 11 November 1987.
The collection today consists of 160,000 theological books and 700 periodicals.
Access to the Library
Sant’Anselmo residents, students and professors with valid library cards are able to use the library during regular operating hours.
Those who don’t live, study or teach at Sant’Anselmo can purchase a pass that allows them to use the library during regular operating hours on a daily or weekly basis. External users must complete the external user form |IT| and submit it, along with an external user fee (daily = € 5, weekly = € 30) at the library’s reference desk.